[pct-l] BEAR AVOIDANCE:.....Cans, counter balance & stealth

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Jan 21 12:59:46 CST 2009

Gary  &  George,
I also have done lot of hiking in the Sierra and agree, bears are a
constant battle in the Sierra.
However, the problem is not so much the hanging, but how it is hung.
Very few hikers use proper counterbalance technique.
If properly counter balanced over a proper branch it can be very
effective...the key word is ''proper branch & technique.''
I know determined bears have been known to chew off a branch if it can't
be broken....it's not 100%, but neither are canisters.
Bears have been known to walk of with canisters or pop the lids on
some....like with branches, proper selection is the key.
Although I have two bear canisters now, I have lost food only once in 25
years of hanging in the Sierra.
Not a bad record....no?

As far as the comment......''If you go stealthy, you are just plain
lucky if you don't get raided''
If you are referring to getting raided by ''SWITCHBACK'',  I
agree...nothing will protect you from that marauding scoundrel. But, if
you are referring to bears, I'm not so sure.
When I go stealth on my JMT fast packs I sleep with my food.
However, I will camp as far as possible from established camp sites, eat
on the trail an hour or so before I stop for the night and not eat or
use my flash light in my camp site so as not to advertise my presence.
Many stealth hikers, including I have used this technique successfully
over the years.
I  ''do not'', however , recommended stealth hiking to the ordinary
hiker...do the right thing....take the can.

As far as the comment.....''The bears will not try to take your food
when in your possession''
I wonder what the Scout would say, who woke up, a few years ago in the
San Bernardino Mountains when a bear was pulling him out of his tent by
his legs, because he had some candy bars in his possession?
I wonder what the Scout would say, who had his scalp chewed of in
Philmont in 1988 because the bear correlated the hair  tonic odor with
food odor.....the Scout survived but his whole scalp was chewed of.
I wonder what Aaron Sorenson would say, who woke up when a bear was
pulling his pack from under his head, as he slept at the foot of Mather
Pass, during his 2007 unsupported JMT record attempt?

Most of the time bears will not resort to that and will look for easier
picking, but it all depends on the bear......how bold and  hungry he is.
Again, I emphasize    ''MOST  OF  THE  TIME''   but  ''NOT  ALL  OF
THE  TIME''.

With this my friends I will, once again, say Adios....hope to see you
all on the trail someday.
I know, I said Adios before and here I am again....but this time I will
try to keep my word....I promise.

JMT Reinhold
Gary wrote:.......Hang your food in the National Parks.....and you loose
it.  Period.