[pct-l] Bear Spray Info

C. Hansen cloxdog at rocketmail.com
Wed Jan 21 00:47:54 CST 2009

Gary -
I got a chuckle out of "spray it at bears, not on equipment".  In 2006 while in the midst of last minute prepping for our hike, the young lady that was with me walked up holding the spray and asked, "So we spray this on ourselves?"  In her mind Bear Deterrent equaled something like Mosquito repellent.  Makes you taste bad I guess.  I laugh about it now, but at the time I was incredibly happy that she asked first.

All -
Thanks for the links, opinions, and info.  I agree that the best deterrent when traveling in bear country is education on how to act/cook/clean.  I've routinely carried bear spray for about four years when hiking in the Bonner and Boundary counties of North Idaho, but I've never run into that crafty subspecies that is the national park black bear.  Just wondering what to expect.

C. Hansen