[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 74

Jerry Hull starship at peak.org
Tue Jan 20 17:17:28 CST 2009

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:36:02 -0800
From: Don Chambers <dc.nc at verizon.net>
Subject: [pct-l] socks
To: pct-l at backcountry.net

What are everyone's thoughts about socks?  Light or medium cushion,
brand, etc.  I wear light trail shoes.  I tend to get a small blister
early on a hike on the outside of my heal.  Sorry if this has been
discussed to death, but tried the search function and it always fails
(using Safari).
Thanks

For my 2005 Oregon thru-hike, I wore Aasic trail runners with two pair of
light nylon dress socks - about a dollar a pair at the cheap mega-stores.  I
carried two extra pair, and changed them during the day when we took rest
stops, and washed and hung them to dry at night as necessary.

I had troubles with blisters on my toes - but that was because I picked
shoes that were a half-size too small.  No problems with heel blisters.

And, after 465 miles on eight pair of socks (I swapped them out at resupply
points) I'm still wearing the same socks for hiking and backpacking.

I also carried a pair of fleece socks for cold nights.

Jerry Hull ("Stitch")
starship at peak.org