[pct-l] trekking poles ? make you weaker

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 14:55:36 CST 2009

I have been a trekking pole convert since preparing for AT thru hike in
2006. The heavier the pack the more helpful they are. They are a highly
effective crossing streams, descending, saving your butt/head/etc for those
unexpected slips and momentary loss of balance, power walking, maintaining a
slightly faster pace,etc.

That said I too have at times felt almost addicted to leaning on my poles
when fatigued. No doubt it would be better to be stronger and walk on your
much stronger legs, and more toned torso - better balance and instinctive
reactions to loss of balance. Just like skiing. But no matter how tone or
strong you are you may always slip or lose your balance. And you'll always
get fatigued at some point. That's when their most functional.

I'm not sure they "make" you weaker, though I suppose you could make a
similar argument as using boots keeps your ankles weaker vs. converting
carefully to low trekking shoes. When I switched to trekking shoes even with
a full pack, eventually my ankles definitely got much stronger and I became
far more balanced/sturdy on my feet (like skiing hard builds up your
quads,etc);

But even with strong legs & ankles, once fatigued higher boots would provide
at least somewhat better ankle support. Similarly trekking poles help more
once fatigued. Like skiing late in the day your fatigued muscles respond
sloppily, the poles regularly planted do help and also offer the possibility
of catching your balance before you're too far gone.

just my unscientific experience

FedEx