[pct-l] Trekking poles

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:22:13 CST 2009

Len asked:

> "Brian, could you describe the process by which you replaced the tips?"

I found a picnic table with an appropriate sized gap between boards, put the
pole such that tip was above the boards with the rest of pole below, I
pulled down to sharply smack the hub of the tip against the boards until it
popped off.  Pushed the new tip on (friction fit); repeated use of pole
tends to hammer it down more firm thereafter.

It's one of those things you do almost never (I had never done it before),
but if you have problems you might well find other hikers around who can
lend a hand; there were several thru's hanging around when I did mine, not
an a-typical experience.

Looking online just now I found a description for how to do this for another
brand of pole (process is the same).  What they say:
"To remove old tip, slide a hammer along the shaft to hit the rim of the tip
and knock it off. Fit the new tip by placing it on the pole end and then
giving it a sharp rap down onto a firm surface."

I don't favor the hammer method so much, as it just hits one side of the
tip; the gap-between-boards method gets two sides of the tip at once, if you
can find the right size gap.  The key is just knowing that the tip is
friction fit on and a sharp smack with force applied correctly will pop it
off.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle