[pct-l] Trekking poles, Aqua Mira

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 18:38:29 CST 2009

"Monty (and all),

Do you find that the hiking poles DO help with the stress on your lower
joints and feet?

phil"

I rarely have any problems with my joints and don't really use trekking poles for that reason. They are great for balance, especially on rough trails and stream crossings, and for going up hills. It's like adding 25% more power to pull you up the hills. They get your arms in shape to match your hiker legs. Yes, I suppose you use more calories but for me I am moving faster so it is worth it. I usually take my hands off the handle grips and hold them by the knobs on top for going down steep hills, that is easier than adjusting them and to me gives a better angle and better control. Hold them behind your shoulders (one hand on each end) to stretch out your arms and shoulders when they get tight. The only time I didn't use them on the PCT was on pavement road walks.

After about 10 years of use, my Komperdells finally quit locking sufficiently and I lost one section in the snow climbing Ampato here, so I ordered new carbon fiber ones. Replacement tips and baskets are usually available at Campmor, sometimes at Backcountry Gear or Sierra Trading Post. I don't know why REI doesn't get their act together and stock them - they own the company!

Concerning Aqua Mira, it is also available at Campmor and BCG, not sure if they will ship to CA or not. In case you aren't aware of it, you can use half of the amount and wait twice as long, especially good for at night. I usually use 7 drops for 2 1/2 liters and wait for an hour or two. The 5 minute wait after mixing A and B isn't a big deal if you remember to mix them before you get your water. I usually carry an extra cap as well, for when I am treating more than one bottle.

Sugar Daddy