[pct-l] Trekking poles

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 19 12:08:01 CST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:10 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Miles 1-5... why am I carrying these stupid poles
> Miles 6-10... they actually do help with step-ups, step-downs &
> balance
> Miles 11-15... I think these poles just saved me from a bad fall
> Miles 16-?... I don't think I could go on without them
Miles 1200-?... I think I'm unable to walk normal anymore. I'm
crippled from dependency using the poles.
Miles post-PCT... I think I'll purposefully go without poles to
regain my ability to walk. Well, ok, I'll use a single pole to have
the benefits when crossing creeks and climbing crazy-steep hills or
walking on treacherous surfaces.

Don't know what to think about poles anymore. I became physically
dependent on them. They do provide a lot of help, but they have a
downside, too. The PCT is a tremendous repetitive stress event. The
poles can alleviate some of the stress, however, they can also
contribute by allowing you to unknowingly atrophy some of your
walking muscles, causing a vicious circle of sorts. YMMV.

~Piper