[pct-l] Trekking poles

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:40:29 CST 2009

Phil

Yes

and other advantages too.  Yesterday I did a long fast day hike with a group of friends up to Garnet Peak just off the PCT.  On the way up I didn't use my poles at all.  It was slightly more rugged than regular PCT, so on the way down I used my poles the whole 13 miles back for downhill foot placement.

I carry a light pack, so I don't need the benefits of poles all the time.  Often I just carry them until I need them.   I use them more often when I carry more weight, but i always carry at least one.   I have used them many times when I was injured or felt an injury coming on.  I use them when I'm tired.  I use them for steeper up and down hill.  I use them to save my knees or move faster and more safely on the knees I have.

I had a somewhat major injury in the Sierra last June where I would not have been able to get to safety without both of them.

I used them in Siead Valley to beat off aggressive dogs this year.

I use them to set up my tarp.  Poles allow me to carry a huge 9 ounce shelter as opposed to pounds of tent.

monty

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty