[pct-l] Shelter for the rain

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 14 14:42:04 CST 2009

As I sat home during last August and September, I read that a lot of
people found their ultralight shelters didn't do very well in the
Pacific NW rain.

A Gossamer Gear The One is the shelter I have. What, realistically,
could I do to have adequate shelter in the rain? Would I need to
purchase a second tent? If so, from where would I start carrying it
past Dunsmuir to deal with rain that lasts more than a few hours? (I
found The One adequate for light rain.) Also, can you recommend a
rain-worthy second tent that isn't too heavy?

If I don't need a second tent, is there something I could do to
extend the rain-sheltering of my The One? Carry around an extra tarp
or something?

Sunshine and rainbows,
~Piper