[pct-l] Frogg Toggs

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:30:27 CST 2009

"I see a lot of discussion on rain gear and jackets...  Are Frog Toggs a
viable option? Can Frog Toggs be used for a wind stopper? Do you really need
rain gear prior to Oregon?"

Frogg Toggs worked well for us on the PCT.  They weren't warm enough when it was sleeting, but that only happened a few times.  The rest of the time they were fine.  They are very good for wind protection.

Yes, you do need raingear prior to Oregon.  We walked in a cold wet mist on our second day out, had sleet near Baden Powell and were snowed on in the Sierras.  We ran into afternoon thunderstorms off and on from Central California to Oregon.  We had no rain in Oregon but frequent rain and snow in Washington.  So good raingear was necessary. If nothing else, it was frequently windy and the Frogg Toggs kept us warm in the wind.
Ginny
http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/