[pct-l] Olallie Lake Resort & Western Snowpack map

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 07:12:40 CST 2009

Wildheart,
    That discussion is off topic, and  would take the rest of my life. The
shortest answer is that the average  person works into  April or May to pay for
the cost of the Federal  Government in their lives, a cost going way beyond
the Income Tax; that means  half a year to pay for the cost of Federal, State,
and Local governments in  their lives. The lose all sense of personal
responsibility for themselves, and  expect government to bail them out of their
problems, partly because government  takes half their income.
    Best near PCT example, to get this  25  miles from on topic, is S CA:
people build hundreds of thousands of  homes in brush fire country, don't
fireproof their property, and then  expect someone to pay to replace their house.
That's not being responsible.  They'll also expect someone to relocate them when
S CA is out of water options,  with no more to be stolen from other states and
none in the ground. Or when gas  is $10 per gallon and their 30-mile commute,
suburban house is worthless,  they'll expect someone to bail them out because
they can't afford that commute.  Or, when the big quake comes, they'll expect
someone to rebuild their house  built in an earthquake zone.
    As to roads, trails, etc: they'd exist  without government, and be called
toll whatever. In Nevada Co  CA, a PCT county, my gg grandfather and his only
son built a 3.7  mile, privately owned toll road, before CA even existed.
Before the  road, it was a trail, with a spring. We're stuck with government, but
 the world does and would exist without it. We're both  oversimplifying a
bit, so ... end of discussion on this  list.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if  it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.'
-- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when its free."
-- P. J. ORourke

In a message dated 1/10/2009 4:23:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,