[pct-l] Hiking alone

Don Fletcher dsfletcher1 at mts.net
Sun Jan 11 21:24:47 CST 2009

Hello SHelly:
 yes I too am  more of a lurker on this site then an active paricipant... as
I do not expect to do PCT  until 2010.....I had been expecting 2005 , but
plans changed and I did the Great Divide trail ( the Canadian Side of the
CDT ) alone ..( because 2 others had to drop out ) for my 60th birthday
I very much appreciate your thoughts as well... overcoming fears  as we go ,
is a lot like training for a marathon....you sort of take it one challenge ,
one step at a time..... also  "fear" is a very relative commodity... what is
fearful for one , is not for the other... that does not mean that some have
NO fear.. it is just that some fear different issues/things...
I would be  most surprised to hear of anyone WITHOUT fear....
those are people I wouldnt want to be near ( frankly )
I try to live by that adage that suggests we  " feeel the fear and  do it
anyway"( within reason of course.... and  the degree to which is reasonable
??...that my friend is relative , all relative )

My thoughts... enjoy
 Malachi