[pct-l] pertex

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 22:14:24 CST 2009

Can anyone get me up to speed on the pertex material that is used in making some windshirts (and sleeping bags)?

I'm thinking hard about whether or not to add a windshirt to my pack but was unimpressed with several nylon shirts that I came across.

After reading many reviews on the subject I've found the most praise for the shirts made out of pertex. I'm looking at the Montane Featherlite Smock (thanks for the heads up FedEx) due to it's weight/features/price (at $58 it's $30-$70 cheaper than mont-bell & patagonia). The issue is that I'm unfamiliar with the breathability and durability of this material. Would y'all relate your experience with this fabric?

And, since I'm still on the fence I wouldn't mind hearing some pros and cons of windshirts.

thank,
chef