[pct-l] Ice Axes

Patrick meta474 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 16:18:49 CST 2009

I used a Camp Corsa and was glad for it. It's light, half a pound, and
seems well-made (I'm confident in it holding up in an arrest
situation). I used poles in the sierra, but when climbing passes or
descending the far side, I put the poles on my pack and took out my
axe. When I thru-hike again this year I won't have poles, just the axe.

But as others have said, know how to use it. And also, it's not much
help if you leave it on your pack. When on dangerous slopes, TAKE IT
OFF YOUR PACK AND PUT IT IN YOUR HAND.

Oh, and wear gloves. You can rip your hand up something fierce when
arresting with bare hands.