[pct-l] home made quilts

Geoff me8938 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 14:30:52 CST 2009

I have not hiked the PCT but I do lurk on this list. I
have made two down quilts for use in a hammock, both
underneath for bottom insulation and on top as a
traditional blanket.

I built these quilts using some very nice instructions
I found on hammockforums.net. I wouldn't say the
process was hard, but it was time consuming. I had
never worked with a sewing machine before, but my
quilts came out really well. I'll be starting my third
one within the month.

If you are building a down quilt, you can save some
money but, if you aren't committed to the time and
effort it takes, it will be cheaper in the long run to
buy one. www.jacksrbetter.com is a good source for
hammock quilts. They might be a bit narrow for ground
dwelling, and they are expensive, but they are well
made and very warm.

Geoff

----