[pct-l] Food and Calories

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 8 10:01:54 CST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 12:56 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I always like to whip out this link when food and calories is
> discussed:
> http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-
> documents/ct_calories_mpd.html
>

> Amusing and/or scary... :D

I suspected Snickers to be a good value calories/weight and calories/
dollar. I found king-sized snickers on sale at K-Mart in South Lake
Tahoe at 10 for $10. That's $1 for 600 calories.

Unfortunately, I did not like the Snickers. They were melty and they
did not leave me feeling strong and healthy. I did not like the way
they tasted. I tried Nut Rageous, which I thought tasted better, but
candy just did not provide me the right nutrition for the effort I
was doing.

I couldn't stand ordinary energy bars anymore, either. Cheese was the
only high-calorie food I really liked anymore. And what I wouldn't
have done for an avocado. The Cobb salad in Sierra City had a half an
avocado on top (plus real bacon) and was the most heavenly thing I
ever ate.

I craved fresh fruit and veggies. They were the only thing that
tasted good to me anymore after a while. Having a naturally low
metabolism that I swear was slowed even further by the long hike, I
don't think I needed the calories so much as the vitamins and "chi",
or life energy, of real food. When I got home, fresh fruit and
veggies were all I could eat for a month. I even gained back most of
the weight I lost on a diet of mostly peaches, grapefruit and salad.

Still, it is interesting information to know.