[pct-l] Golite Pinnacle Pack - good deal

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Jan 7 17:23:02 CST 2009

*http://tinyurl.com/9vsg5n*

The Golite Pinnacle is the "next generation" of the Golite Gust.  As
many know, there are a number of different pack systems you can adopt
for your section and thru hikes.

The Gust was perfect at 20 oz or so, for using a quilt, a full-length
blue foam pad, and light tent.  Make the blue foam pad into a cylinder,
insert it into the pack, and then tightly pack clothes and gear.  This
makes a very efficient "frame" between waist belt and shoulder straps.

On top of this put the quilt into a lightweight garbage bag and put in
the pack.  The pack will always be full this way - always look full as
the quilt compresses and expands based on the food being carried.  This
way the quilt never needs to be stuffed into a stuff sack, and you never
"waste" insulation by sleeping on compressed down.

The Pinnacle arrived today, and has more straps and pockets, a more
comfortable waist belt, a silly strap connecting the two shoulder straps
across the chest, but is still essentially a Gust, but now at 26 or 27
oz or so.  My base weight is about 12 to 14 pounds depending on whether
I carry a book and stove/fuel.  The improvement that had me get this
pack is the two side pockets for my gatorade bottles.  Perhaps an
expensive $80 for two pockets...  But it beats having to undo the pack
everytime I wanted a drink...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD "The Flyover Zone"