[pct-l] Horse Rentals

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 6 15:29:52 CST 2009

I apologize up front for the length of this.  Short question -- long
response.  I've read the comments that Tom Bache and Sweet Goat Mama posted
on this topic, and would second their opinions resoundingly.

I'm just concerned because the nature of your questions lead me to believe
you're not in "horse world" at all.  By this I mean keeping or being around
horses makes you a part of a community that shares the sort of information
you're seeking (i.e., your vet, feed store, trainer etc.) very much in the
way being a thru-hiker makes you a part of that community and knowledge is
communicated.  If my speculation and assumption is correct -- that you're
not presently an equestrian on some level, I have some additional opinions
to offer. Please forgive me if my assumption is incorrect.

First and foremost, the care, well being, and relationship with a horse
should not be a matter entered into lightly. It sickens me that so many
animals in general seem to be "disposable" to people.  Horses are herd
animals, and bond with other horses and, if you're especially lucky, with
you. I've found it to be a relationship of trust that takes time and doesn't
happen overnight, especially if a horse has been passed around from one
person and personality after another.  Chances are good in those situations
that somewhere along the line the animal was trained improperly, mistreated,
abused, or neglected, or all of the above. And, taking a horse that isn't
fit and sound both in body and spirit on such an arduous journey could be
extremely hard for both rider and horse.

The logistics of caring for a horse on the trail far, far exceed those of
hiking.  Horses need regular feed, and the forests and parks the trail goes
through require specific types of feed (ie, certified seedless). Which means
that you have to make sure you've got that feed in adequate amounts
delivered or cached throughout the trail.  And, you can't switch around
their feed a whole lot and need to keep it consistent, as they may develop
gastrointestinal complications which can cause a healthy horse to up and die
within hours (colic).  One of the biggest challenges of a horse on the trail
is ensuring that they don't lose weight. And then there's the issue of water
. . .

Having a horse on the trail means that you can't just hitch to most towns
like the hikers do to go to the post office or store.  Hotels?
Forgettaboutit.  To top it off, you will miss portions of the trail, which
may or may not be important to you.  You would also need a horse trailer and
truck, or someone to help you with such, to get around some places.  What
I'm saying is, you've got to really love horses and know what you're doing
to make the kinds of sacrifices necessary to do the trail on horseback.

Ed Anderson recently did a large portion of the trail on his horse Primo; I
suggest you search the archives for a message from him (I think it will be
under his wife's email "Jureen Anderson").  Please keep in mind that Ed is
no rank amateur -- in fact, he's an endurance riding champion, with many
titles under his belt. Put a tremendous amount of work into planning and
caching resupply for him and Primo.

My large draft horses aren't long-distance endurance type horses, so I could
not and would not take them on such a journey. My thought has always been
that if I wanted a pack animal for the trail, I would take a burro (donkey)
or mule.  Both of these stock animals do well on forage (what they eat along
the way) and don't require the same kind of feed, are exceptionally
surefooted, and durable.  If it absolutely, positively had to be a horse, I
would seek out a rescued BLM mustang -- first to save it from slaughter,
secondly because these horses are heartier.  The Fosters, who took pack
horses on the trail a few years back, used BLM rescue horses that they
trained.  Please go to www.nhes.org/articles/view/620 to learn more about
the very real plight of wild horses.

Lastly, you might want to check with the Sierra Pack outfitters to see if
they have some further suggestions for you in this regard.  There is an
excellent one at Red's Meadow, and Muir Trail Ranch also keeps a string of
horses.  The pack stations aren't open now, but you may be able to contact
them for information.

L-Rod