[pct-l] Lets Talk Packs

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Tue Jan 6 15:28:07 CST 2009

I bought a ULA Conduit for my son. Great pack, well made, well thought out
product. It was large enough to fit a cannister and normal gear without a
problem.

As to waterproofing, I have tried rain ponchos, pack covers, and trash
bags. I like the latter--use one on the inside to keep the general contents
dry, then a waterproof stuff sack for important gear like sleeping bag and
electronics.

It is very important to get the lighest pack that is comfortable and meets
your needs. You can spend hours strategizing weight savings and cutting
labels off gear, but knocking out a couple pounds on just the pack is a
great way to reduce weight. After all, the pack is part of your base weight
forever.