[pct-l] Lets Talk Packs

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 6 01:46:10 CST 2009

E A wrote:

Or  ArcTeryx Naos Pack.  Its completely waterproof and weights 4lbs 10oz...

No need to worry about anything getting wet.  Sleeping Bag, clothes, etc...
No need to bring a rain cover for the pack or water proof stuff sacks.

Meh - three and a half pounds is a lot of extra weight to carry just for waterproofing.  Toss a rain cover and a few waterproof stuff sacks in the ULA and you're probably still three pounds ahead.

The most important feature of any pack is whether or not your body gets along with it.  I know many people like the ULA packs, which is great.  Personally, I need a bit more structure in my pack than what the ULA provides so I use a Granite Gear Vapor Trail at approximately 2 lbs.  If you've tried the ULA and it seems comfortable to you over the long term, then go with it.  If you've tried the ArcTeryx pack and you know your body likes it, then maybe it's worth the extra weight.

When choosing packs, consider long-term comfort first, weight second, and everything else (waterproofing, pockets, doodads, etc) third.

Oh, and even if your pack claims to be completely waterproof, I would still store important items (sleeping bag, backup clothing) in individual waterproof bags.  Worst case is a dunking in a river, or more likely, a water container leaks inside your pack, or the pack will start leaking over time if you're in a lengthy rain after 2000 miles of wear and tear.

Eric