[pct-l] Grid, Graph, Spreadsheet in Preparation and During Hike

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 5 14:13:38 CST 2009

I section hike and always seem to have a deadline to meet or rendezvous to
make, so I work with such a spreadsheet (I'll forward separately).  I would
really like to be free of such an encumbrance, but the truth is I love the
planning and dreaming, too.  Once I get out there, I don't always exactly
meet the targets, but at least I have an idea of what it's going to take to
get to where I need to be on time. Sometimes you don't want to pass up the
perfect campsite, or feel up to moving ahead a little further.

I use the guidebook only to decide where, within the daily mileage I'm
comfortable with, should I tentatively plan to camp.  This has generally
worked, except for the stretch from Benson Lake to Wilmer Lake.  It was only
15 miles or so on paper, but up and over three passes (I should have read
about that one for sure!).  My previous record for Sierra passes was two in
a day . . . three was a lot! It was a good thing that the trail through
Grace Meadow was such a beautiful stroll the next day.

I think it's a good thing to have a guideline if you have to meet targets,
but not be a slave to it.

L-Rod