[pct-l] Prior Reading

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Jan 4 19:01:36 CST 2009

E A wrote:
> How many thru-hikers have read/ studied all three of the PCT Guide
> books before departing.  I mean do people actually remember the
> route? Do you read it as you go, or do you have it all planned out.

I don't see any way one can remember all of the detail in all three PCT
guidebooks. Many of us don't find the time to read them on the trail.

There is only so much you can plan for on the trail. There are too many
unknowns. You need to plan well enough ahead of time to insure that you
do not run out of food en route. You need to plan well enough a day or
two in advance to make sure you don't run out of water or carry more
than necessary.

> Do you know that you will have to walk 110.6 in section A?  Beyond
> that I mean to you have it mapped out that you know exactly how many
> miles you will walk on day 3 or beyond that further day 93!!??

You need a rough idea how long it will take you to hike to the next
resupply point. Within a half day should work, unless you are willing to
carry extra food.

You need to know where the next few reliable water sources are. You need
to know if you have arrived at the last reliable water source before
making a dry camp, so you can get a little extra water to get you
through the evening and morning.

> Or does are you able to modify your plan as you go?

Your plans will change as you go.

> How well do you need to know the trail before you depart.

Well enough to plan a resupply strategy. You need a rough idea how long
it will take you to get from one resupply point to the next, so you can
plan how much food to send to or buy at that resupply point. You need to
know what portions of the trail are still under snow, so you can carry
appropriate gear. You need to know about closures and re-routes.

When you start at the border, you need to have information about the
trail between the border and Mt Laguna with you. You need to know
whether there is water in Hauser Creek. You need to know whether two
days worth of food is enough to get you to Mt Laguna, or if you should
carry three days worth of food. You need to have a general idea how fast
you will go through water so you have enough to get you to the next
reliable water source (usually Lake Morena).

Beyond that, you play it by ear. Take whatever the trail gives you each day.