[pct-l] Dri-clime Windshirt

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jan 3 19:51:27 CST 2009

I have a Marmot Dri-clime windshirt, all black. I was hiking off
trail with my boyfriend yesterday. After crawling on my belly through
some chaparral I noticed my jacket was gone. So close to our goal of
Hurricane Deck, a hellish ridge in the San Rafael wilderness that
captivates people even stronger and more tenaciously than the PCT, I
could think only of my jacket. I plunged back into the chaparral but
could not find my jacket. My arms were bloody and my pants torn as I
hurled myself through the wicked brush with branches tangled around
my legs and caught in my hair. We had to abort our mission to forge a
cross-country route to the Deck, a place we swore we'd never visit
again after the last attempt hiking it left us and all our gear in
shreds. I followed our footprints back a very long way. My jacket had
simply fallen off the back of my pack and was laying out among the
burned out remnants of a chamise forest. I danced with glee when I
found my precious Dri-clime windshirt. I tied it securely to my waist
and proceeded down the silted creek bed full of baby bear prints and
quicksand. Hurricane Deck forgotten for the time being.

There are some pieces of gear you just love, ya know?