[pct-l] Training for a thru hike - it's simple

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sat Jan 3 00:47:46 CST 2009

You need to walk and walk and walk and.....

You don't need to carry a fully loaded pack to train with. Carry a day pack
with water and essentials for your training. You need to get your feet
accustomed to the abuse. Don't make a fuss, fill a couple water bottles and
go take a walk on a natural surface near home. If you have to do 40 laps
around a baseball field perimeter, do it.

If I get in 300+ miles withn 3 months of my start, I'm ready! I cannot
convey to you the night and day difference of being prepared and not being
prepared. I know from first hand experience.

Imagine walking 20 miles to Lake Morena your first day in the heat. At the
end of the day your body is saying, "What? That's it?" Now imagine dragging
your tired, ragged self in around sunset not in the best of spirits with
more to follow in the morning.

Get out and walk! Don't make an event out of it. Just walk out the door and

:)
-postholer