[pct-l] Ramona Falls

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 20:58:00 CST 2009

>I'd been looking for a cabin reputed to be in
the vicinity, but never found it so set up my
tent as rain was forecast overnight.

I hiked this section in late September.  I hiked
the Paradise Park loop and hoped to lunch at the
Paradise Park Shelter.  The closest thing I found
was the barely-intact shell of something that had
once been a small, rectangular structure built of
medium-sized andesite blocks.  Quite frankly,
Masada is in better condition than that shelter.
I suspect that either something similar happened
to the Ramona cabin or it was tucked away in the
trees out-of-sight or otherwise difficult to
spot.  An unwitting navigational error might also
have been at fault.  I missed Ramona Falls when
the sign at the trail junction directed me
further along the PCT toward the RF loop
trailhead.  Although I'm bummed to have missed
it, I'd planned to continue along the Muddy Fork
loop, which I later learned was barely passable
due to wash-outs.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR