[pct-l] Maps

Greg Mikol greg.mikol at ieee.org
Thu Jan 1 14:14:21 CST 2009

>So am I the only one out there who didn't know that you can
>download topographical maps for free from the USGS?
>... You can then just cut and paste into any decent
>paint program and print your own custom topo maps.
>http://store.usgs.gov then click on Map Locator on the left
>side to get started.

Something to keep in mind is that some of the free download map data can be
pretty old. For example, the Mt. Adams West (WA) quad has a 1970 date. On
this map, the location of the PCT is different compared to the 1998 map
data found in the National Geographic TOPO! map of the same area. The PCT
guide book seems to reflect the 1998 map data.

The free maps are probably OK for basic reference, though.

I put together a graphic that shows the difference between the 2 sets of data.

http://gmikol.home.comcast.net/misc/map_compare.jpg

Hope this helps...

--Greg