[pct-l] Camp Shoes and Such

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 19:26:48 CST 2009

I've carried camp shoes on and off over the years (crocks, flip-flops, etc.). On the trips that I have not taken them, I often regret my choice. There's something to being able to remove wet shoes and socks in camp, and still having foot protection. I've found it very unpleasant to walk around the desert, or on pine needles, barefoot.
On 3-5 day trips I'm usually tempted to leave them at home, to reduce pack weight. I consider them a luxury, but a useful one. I'm allotting myself a pound or two of luxury items and am thinking of  bringing my crocks.

My hesitation is this: Will I ever really have time to wear them? Will they be worth the weight.

I usually hike until the edge of dark. In normal situations I'm active doing choirs and hanging out for an hour or two before bed. From past experience and what I've read, I'll probably spend less time "camping" on my thru. It seems that your level of exhaustion demands an earlier bed time. I can envision other times that the crocs would be useful such as on zeros, desert breaks when I'm airing my shoes, bathing, public showers...

While I am more than able to make this decision on my own I often find that the responses I receive on the list can provide me with new insight. I did not have computer access before my '06 section hike and I knew only one distance hiker. New to the sport I found myself massively over prepared gear wise and woefully unprepared in general knowledge. I knew little of lightweight hiking. I had read Jardine's book and thought him a cook. I hit the trail in Mojave in good shape, with full leather hiking boots, a 65 pound pack and guide book pages. My feet were hamburger by Whitney. If I had been able to ask these kinds of questions in Feb. '06 I may have made it a few more miles down the trail. Perhaps not. Who can say. When I hiked out over Trail Crest and down to Whitney Portal I vowed to learn from my mistakes, unlearn my 1970's notions of camping, and to return to the Sierra prepared to enjoy myself.

In the hopes of being better prepared I find myself openly asking strangers for advice. This is very strange for me. I consider myself confident and self aware. I'm not above asking advice. I'm just not used to asking strangers. This is an area of growth that I hadn't anticipated. I might as well get used to asking for help along the way. I have too much of myself invested in this trip to let my ego get in the way.

All this being said, what are yall doin' 'bout camp shoes this year?

jason