[pct-l] Idyllwild

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 09:48:32 CST 2009

I really enjoyed the mountains above Idyllwild.  It felt like "real hiking" again - as opposed to

 the winding wheelchair trail farther south.

When we passed through, we ate lunch at the Cafe, then began the climb into the

mountains.  Ran into our first snow on the trail.  We got water at Apache Spring and camped

a few miles farther, then walked into town the next day.  It wasn't a bad hike, especially with

 an empty pack. http://spiriteaglehome.com/Warner.html

OTOH, leaving town with a full pack, then doing the interminable descent to the desert,

wasn't nearly as much fun.

We never skipped any trail while hiking the PCT.  We try, as much as possible, to connect

our steps.  Fires or other emergencies may make that impossible.  But wanting to avoid a

climb isn't a good enough reason to skip trail.

Ginny