[pct-l] Hiker Fitness

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 28 07:37:27 CST 2009

Good morning, Jason,

One good thing to do is stand back and look at the whole SoCal
timeframe.  First,
pick what you think will be an acceptable date to arrive at Kennedy Meadows
– 15 June for example.  That is 50 full days from the end of the
KickOff.  Next,
deduct the number of zero or “nero” days you plan to take.  That might
reduce the total from 50 hiking days to 45.  KM is at Mile-700 and that
means you would have to average about 15.6 miles per hiking day.  That’s not
too bad.  A hiker could start by averaging 10-12 miles per day and increase
to 18-20 by KM.  To arrive at KM by 5 June the average would have to be 20
miles per day.

It’s probably a good idea to go as slow as possible in those early miles
provided one gets to KM at an acceptable date.  It doesn’t make a lot of
sense to go fast early, then wait at KM for the snow to melt – or leave KM
early and have a slow, difficult time trip through the Sierras.  Much
depends upon this year’s snowpack levels and one’s appetite for snow travel.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye