[pct-l] Idyllwild Enter/Exit

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:58:41 CST 2009

"While Melissa and I are doing what we can to stay in shape, we know
that we will be well below our hiking "peak" when we reach the border.
We are planning on shorter days for the first few hundred miles of the
walk. Say, 12/15 miles, whenever water access allows."

Due to the fire in that area last year, few of the class of 2008 had a
normal experience in that area so I can't comment on the specifics of
getting to Idylwild in a normal fashion.

I will say that by that point I was doing more miles than I would have
expected to be doing --- YMMV, but if you're in reasonable shape
starting out of Campo, you might well find yourself doing more than
you expect by, say, Warner Springs.    Also, your "thru-hiker hunger"
will likely not have kicked in so early on, hence you should hopefully
not have to carry a lot of food weight per day.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle