[pct-l] hiker gear head tent?

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:33:54 CST 2009

Jessica,

I've carried a MSR Hubba-Hubba for the past three years and find it an easy tent to recommend to others. 3#15oz, free standing, and very stable. I've been snug in 50 mph desert winds in Utah and Arizona. It held up well to the rains and winds of Washington last spring and fall. We carried it on a three day trip around Mt. McAlister and down the PCT. It rained for 60 of 72 hours. We were able to stay reasonably dry while in camp due to two large vestibules and plenty of room for ourselves. Condensation is minimal if you choose your camp sight well, as well as maximize ventilation per the weather conditions

It's expensive but worth every  penny in the light/free standing catagory.

I've read of people substituting carbon-fiber poles to reduce the weight of the tent, though I'm not sure if that would be a good idea with your intended use. Maby an option for later trips.

I've also read good reviews for the REI T2 but have no practical experience with this tent.

jason