[pct-l] Running shoes

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 19:04:40 CST 2009

I am a 67-year old woman who has section-hiked 1,900 miles on the PCT and more than a thousand on paths and roads in Europe. I've hiked in trail runners for 5-6 years. Before I started wearing trail runners, I had many of the same questions about plantar fascittis, sprains, blisters, etc. However although my plantar f. problem dates back many years, I have found that with proper orthotics it has not been an issue--hard surfaces are the issue (roads). IMHO trail runners might just strengthen your ankles because of the continual movement--as opposed to a more rigid boot. However, I use hiking poles and they provide added stability, power, and added upper body strength. I've had blisters with all kinds of shoes, but my recent change to wearing toe socks (Injinji) with a pair of lightweight socks over them seems to have finally solved that issue, too. I echo the comments about gaiters--they keep the pebbles out.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.