[pct-l] Running Shoes vs. boots

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 27 17:28:15 CST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 2:29 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Ok, everybody, help me out with understanding something,
>
>> From what I have seen of trail running shoes and lightweight
>> boots, their
> heels are virtually non-existent. Since the vertical face of the
> heel in the
> instep of a traditional boot is used as a tremendous braking
> device, I have
> to assume that these runners and lightweight boots must not work
> very well
> in a panic stop and slip on things like pebbles on hard trail.
>
> How well do runners work with quick/panic stops on common trail
> conditions?

Panic stops? Like when you're about to be run over by a bus on the
trail? I can't think of any time I did anything close to a panic stop
while walking, and even if I did, I think my trekking poles would
play a big part in handling the event.

> If their rubber is softer to be "grippy," don't they wear out fast, as
> compared to dense Vibram boot soles?

Trail runners over all wear out quickly. They are disposable. You
cannot even repair or resole them. But I have always found Vibram
soles to be the slipperiest things I've ever walked on, to the point
where I feel extremely unstable unless I'm walking on perfectly dry
ground. I avoid Vibram whenever possible. I don't know who came up
with the marketing BS that they are no-slip because they are the
exact opposite.

> If they wear out fast and you have to leave the trail a few times on a
> 5-month trip to find and buy more, won't the total expense of
> runners begin
> to equal or at least approach that of a decent hiking boot?

Yes, the total expense will be the same or more than a high-quality
boot, as long as your boot does not come apart. However, if your
trail runners do not work out, they are more disposable and also
easier to modify. For example, the toes pinch or parts are rubbing?
Cut the shoes up with a knife.

> If the shoes feel great when you have a lightweight pack on, what
> happens to
> your feet when your weight goes up with your Sierra extra gear?

I find that running shoes and lightweight hikers are more cushioned
and therefore much more comfortable than old-fashioned leather hiking
boots. And if you are anything like me, your weight will only be high
at the start of the hike and after a few weeks your pack weight will
equal the body weight you have lost and you'll be even-steven.