[pct-l] axes vs. whippets

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Feb 27 11:34:00 CST 2009

Hi, Ellen,

That depends how you are glissading. An axe in a seated glissade can be used
as a rudder of sorts. What it does, actually, is provide a third point of
contact so you can control your balance better.

I would not encourage the use of any already-broken, segmented, collapsible
pole to be used where force is applied to bend it by your leaning on it
perpendicular to its length. If you're standing and using the pole to catch
your balance, you are "skiing" on your boots, it would help in such a slide
as the force is being applied down its length. However, there are still
friction cams which hold the pole at its length that can fail if you have to
suddenly put a lot of weight on the pole, so be careful how much you ask of
any extendable pole.

Mtnned