[pct-l] town of Mojave

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Wed Feb 25 22:03:24 CST 2009

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:05:35 -0700
From: jason moores <jmmoores at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] town of Mojave?
To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>

Janet,

I've taken the Greyhound to Mojave, from Las Vegas ('06), the McDonalds on the main drag is the ad hoc bus terminal.
I did a quick search on the greyhound ticket page and it showed Mojave as a destination. You should be able to pick up a bus in Mojave and skip Bakersfield all together.

jason

Thanks, Jason. Unfortunately the Greyhound website allows the Mojave McDonalds as a destination, but not as a starting point. No matter how I put it in to start my trip there, it will only give me Mobile, Alabama as the closest spelling to Mojave. I guess I can call Greyhound and wait out the interminable hold to confirm this.
But many thanks to all for the responses, and to Bob for the link to the Kern Regional Transit site since it shows how to get to Bakersfield to the Greyhound station.
I figured I'd just go to Mojave rather than Tehachapi because it is a more compact town, and I'll be ending this small section hike there and just need to shower, do laundry, eat and sleep before catching the bus out and home. But with all the warnings about Days Inn not actually picking people up, I may end up trying the trail angels in Tehachapi to see if they'd pick me up at Hwy 58, and the buses go through Tehachapi too. Or maybe I'll actually try my first solo hitch.
Janet