[pct-l] trekking poles

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 20:57:50 CST 2009

I like Komperdell straight aluminum three section with cork crips and Leki
round cup point carbide tips.  I nealty wrap electrical tape around the
section joints where they telescope when the locks wearout, which doesn't
takelong and have been using the same pair for a couple thousand miles, and
the same tips for more than half that, and the carbide is like new thought
the hard plastic around it is getting suspect.  If you are into light
weight,  Gossamer Gear has some interesting carbon poles.  I've read a few
tid bits about carbon snapping, but it sounded like bad pole etiquette.  I
use mine a lot, and also double duty for my tarp and bug net. Haven't found
a good reason yet not to use them, and on flats I often just carry in this
hand or that which seems to keep my hands from swelling.