[pct-l] What is a Thru Hike, synopsis

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed Feb 25 20:52:13 CST 2009

It would seem that there are three points to garnish out of this discussion,

A Thru-Hiker is one who is attempting to hike from the beginning to the end
of his/her trail in one extended trip.

You can "thru-hike" the JMT, the TRT, or the Oregon Skyline Trail, for
example, and that says that you completed that trail in one trip.

Everyone who starts to thru-hike the trail is a "thru hiker" in intent and
should be able to proudly call him/herself such.
If this hiker discontinues the attempt, he/she has hiked a section of the
trail.

In my case, I hiked the CDT in 1980, got injured near Steamboat Springs, and
had to abandon my attempt as a Thru-Hiker. I can say that I
am section-hiking the CDT. If I were to re-start in Steamboat and finish up
in Canada, I could say that I section-hiked the CDT in two trips. If,
instead, I were to start again from Mexico and make it all the way to Canada
in one trip, then I could claim that I thru-hiked the trail.

A Section Hiker can hike like the Thru, same style, but covers shorter
lengths of the collective total.

Once all sections have been completed, the Section Hiker can claim he/she
has "hiked the entire PCT in sections."

To quickly address what Rod Miller states the Australian Track Foundation
declares as an "end-to-ender." It is, without a doubt, much harder to
complete the PCT in one extended trip versus many sections. Thus, there
needs to be some distinction between how this accomplishment is achieved,
whether in sections or not, to honor those who had it in them to meet the
challenge and go all the way in one trip, whether they had to bounce around
or not.

Mtnned