[pct-l] trekking poles

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Feb 25 18:26:38 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Neil,

I only use poles uphill, downhill, side hill, on the flat, through sand and
mud, across rocks, over snow, while fording, when pitching my tarp, and when
flicking sticks – or snakes – off the trail.  I don’t use them when walking
on pavement.  I sometimes tell people that I’m getting so old and feeble
that not only do I have to walk with a cane, I have to walk with two of
them.

I’ve used Leki and Komperdell/REI, and they all seem to work OK.  I rather
like the Leki cork-type grips.  I’ve used rubber but it seems to make my
hands black.  Plastic is kind of slick and DEET does strange things to
it.  I’ve
used foam grips but after a few days of DEET the foam unbounded from the
shaft, slid around, and wouldn’t stay in place.  The Komperdells are usually
less expensive, while replacement tips are much more readily available for
the Lekis.

I buy the light-weight titanium alloy model – not as light as the carbon
fiber, but OK.  I like to see them under 16 oz., and believe me I don’t
commit to carrying another pound of anything without having given it much
thought and trial.

To reduce weight and eliminate the aggravation of something I don’t use I
remove the wrist straps.  Sometimes I slip on a very light bungee tether
around my wrist so if I happen to lose my grip the pole won’t disappear down
the river or down the mountain.

I do not use the anti-shock models, and I would pay more for sticks without
the springs.  I don’t like the rattles so often associated with the springs.
I don’t like the squishy feel when the anti-shock is engaged, and I don’t
agree that springs are significant in reducing shock.  The bone and muscle
structure of human arms and shoulders can attenuate force over a distance of
up to 18”.  The little springs in anti-shock poles can attenuate force over
about 0.5”.  The longer the distance the less the average force must be to
absorb the energy.  The shorter the distance the greater the average force
must be.  It is my opinion that anti-shock is a marketing effort to sell a
$1 feature for $20 by creative advertising.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye