[pct-l] anyone have bear or mountain lion stories?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 25 17:23:15 CST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> anyone have bear or mountain lion stories?
I never saw any mountain lion prints on the PCT, but I saw plenty of
bear prints. I saw two bears. One on the trail in the early morning
near Golden Oak Spring. Another on the trail in Northern California
around the Ash Camp area. Both ran away from me. I never saw any
evidence of bears in the High Sierra, except for the bear that lived
in the Tuolumne Meadows campground.

In the wilderness area near Santa Barbara, where I live, I frequently
see mountain lion tracks. Their prints have no claws. They are cats.
(And as such will retract their claws and not eat potato chips. The
one time an animal ate my chips, it was a mean little tiny horse that
then tried to charge at me!)

I saw a mountain lion near Santa Barbara once taking a walk along a
road in the local mountains above town. It was sitting majestically
on a rock outcrop with the Pacific Ocean and the sunset in the
distance behind. It looked like the Lion King. So beautiful. I was
far enough away not to be scared.

A few times I've been out hiking near Gaviota where there are warning
signs for lions. Every now and then I've had a really creepy, tingly
feeling on the back of my neck. I've looked around the rocks and
trees to see if a lion is watching me. I have never seen one. I had
the same feeling on the PCT in the first few days. If I were going to
see a mountain lion on the PCT, I'm pretty sure it would be somewhere
in the first couple of weeks of the trail.

Diane