[pct-l] What is a "Thru Hike?"

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 23 18:16:20 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Monte,

Yes, I was the light-weight guy in sneakers even then.  At that time I
didn't actually wear sneakers, I wore what I believe were field hockey or
soccer shoes.  They were thin and very light with short cleats on the soles.
They were about like moccasins with traction.  I couldn't wear them today --
my feet are a little less forgiving in my old age – but I just loved those
things.

My "pack" was also a bit strange.  I had a large butt-pack to which I had
attached a set of shoulder straps much like the suspenders seen on a tool
belt or duty belt.  The butt-pack held what little gear I carried except for
a rolled-up down sleeping bag that I wrapped in the surplus Army
poncho/tarp/ground cloth and lashed above the pack.

If I cooked anything I used an old Sierra Cup which had had its wire handle
modified to accept a stick so I could hold it over a fist-sized fire.

I could cover a lot of miles with that bizarre setup over a 2 or 3-day
weekend, with much of it off-trail.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the PCT since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye