[pct-l] Contemporary Thru Hiking

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 23 17:15:17 CST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:46 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> When I realized that hiking to Canada wasn't going to happen, I sat in
> my hotel room in Idyllwild and cried.

I did too, in my hotel room in Dunsmuir. Actually, I cried all the
way from the night before when I went to sleep somehow knowing it
would be my last night in the wilderness, all the way down the hill
in the morning and all the way along the railroad tracks and the road
where I didn't even try to hitchhike, and then for hours at the
hotel. Then I cried all the way home on the train.

I cried both for the loss, my dream coming to an end, and for the
incredible sense of accomplishment. My god! I had walked more than
1000 miles all by myself! So what if other people do more than that?
It's incredible and I will always have the memories.

But you know who I admire even more than those who hiked all the way
to Canada? It's the people who hike all the time. The ones who keep
going out on weekends and vacations and put in more days out there in
a year than I normally do. I want to be more like that.