[pct-l] Speaking of Resupplies...

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 23 12:06:25 CST 2009

Good morning, Allison,

I try to repackage whatever I can into Ziplocs to reduce weight and provide
a very adaptable and compliant packing increment; that's particularly
important when stuffing the bear 'can.  One item I like is the individual
packets of Mayo.  I buy them locally in cartons of 200 12-gr. packets. Mayo
is high in fat – which is a plus – and goes well with lots of things,
including otherwise dry jerky.  I've not had packaging failures, but I
stopped for a snack about 2/3 the way up Forester Pass and the Mayo packet
was fat and perfectly cylindrical like a little sausage due to the air
inside and the much reduced barometric pressure outside.

I like to use powdered cheese for spread.  It is essentially the same stuff
that's included in the Mac & Cheese boxes. I put ¼ cup of powder in a
snack-size Ziploc, then add some water or oil at lunch.  After kneading a
bit to mix, it I bite off a corner of the sack and squeeze it out like
toothpaste.  Other powders, such as bean powder and butter powder, can be
treated the same way.

I also often put creamy peanut butter in the Ziplocs and squeeze it out the
same way.  I put the sacks of PB in another Ziploc because sometimes the oil
creeps out.  Honey can be a real problem without a well-sealed container.  It's
really hard to keep that dog under the porch.  I happen to like peanut
butter and honey together as a spread, and if it is mixed ahead of time it
soon turns into a thick, firm, fudge-like stuff that doesn't seem to leak
out.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the PCT since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye