[pct-l] Contemporary Thru Hiking

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Mon Feb 23 09:35:09 CST 2009

Sara,

Your post reminds me of the book "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

It is the story of a young Spanish shepherd who, after having a powerful
dream, decides to leave everything he has ever known and travel to the
Egyptian pyramids in search of hidden treasure.

Along the way he has many adventures and misfortunes, each time entertaining
the notion of returning home in defeat. But he never gives up and continues
pursuing his dream, though the route is anything but predictable and takes
him places he never expected.

In his travels he meets a crystal merchant. The merchant shares that he too
has a dream. He has always dreamed of making the pilgrimage to Mecca before
he dies, but never could because he must tend to his crystal shop.

The boy goes to work for the crystal merchant and before long the shop is
thriving.

One day the boy says to the merchant "Now that the shop is doing so well,
you can finally pursue your dream of traveling the Mecca. I can take care of
everything while you are gone."

But the merchant tells the boy that he will never travel to Mecca. Because
if he did, he would have to give up the dream of doing so.

-Erik The Black
www.eriktheblack.com

Message: 9