[pct-l] Mosquitoes, OR/WA, and the PCT

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 00:55:57 CST 2009

Hi Matt,

It really depends from year to year. I have hiked quite a bit in Oregon in the summertime and some years it isn't so bad by August, particularly if it was a low snowpack year. Last year was a different story. With all that snow sticking around so long, we section-hiked OR C&D and...well...it was prime breeding season. We'll let you know about this year in a few months ;)

It also really depends on the person. I must be pretty dang tasty to mosquitoes because in the last 40 or so miles, coming through Diamond Peak wilderness, I couldn't get away from them. Forget what people tell you about "just keep moving" or "deet will keep them away" - those suckers were mean and EVERYWHERE on me! My dad, on the other hand, wasn't too bothered by them - but he was at least sympathetic, because he could see that they were just giving me no mercy. The most memorable part was the final three hours of so of hiking before getting to Willamette Pass. I wound up hiking in long pants, with a bug net, deet both on my arms and sprayed on the outside of my long sleeve shirt, and STILL resorted to wearing my poncho with the hood up because they were chowing down on me! I lifted my headnet to eat a snack and got bites on my lip and eyelid.

My brother hiked in to meet us and couldn't stop laughing. I looked like the swamp thing coming down the trail.

http://tinyurl.com/corgdx