[pct-l] trail shoes

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Feb 21 18:39:53 CST 2009

Although my longest hike was 35 days, I have been wearing trail running
shoes for my month long summer Sierra treks since 1996.  I have worn
either Asics or New Balance, mostly in the 800 series.  At home I wear
women's size 9 1/2 but on trail I wear men's size 10 1/2 4E.  I wear low
synthetic socks (such as Thorlos or even cheap knockoffs) and Joe
Trailman jersey gaiters.  I never get any blisters, and the shoes and
socks dry very fast.  The only problem I had was lack of traction when I
wore a pair of shoes that were too old.  I kept slipping on the trail
from the ridge down to Sonora Pass.  A couple of times I have had to sew
the uppers back together because they blew out before the trip was over.
Prior to 1996 I had tried a variety of light hiking boots (such as
Hi-Tek) but found they were too rigid and far too narrow for my feet,
and didn't come in wide widths.
Marion