[pct-l] Bear cans, peanut butter and Tom Reynolds--ADZPCTKO history

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Feb 21 18:34:30 CST 2009

At one of the early ADZPCTKO parties, Tom Reynolds packed a bear can
with a plastic jar of peanut butter, a plastic bottle of grape jelly,
and filled all the interstices with white flour.  Mad Monte then put on
a bear suit and repeatedly picked up the can and hurled it at the ground
and stomped on it, to simulate a bear attacking a can.  He had
maintained that a bear could open a Garcia can if he abused it enough.
The can stood up to the abuse.
Later there was a gear contest, and the bear can was added to the table
of prizes from which the winners could choose.  I won a prize for my
homemade female urinary assistance device, which I dubbed "the equalizer".
I chose the bear can as my prize, took it home and put it on the shelf,
unaware that it contained flour and peanut butter and jelly.  I thought
it contained some yummy trail food that I might use on my summer trek.
So I was quite surprised when I opened the can in July.  During Monte's
attack on the can, the jelly bottle broke, and spread jelly all through
the flour.  This developed into an amazing solid moldy mass which was
very difficult to clean out of the can (it took days of soaking and
digging and soaking and digging).
I still use that bear can today.
Marion