[pct-l] socks

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 12:04:06 CST 2009

My husband and I thru-hiked in '07.  In Washington, we ran into cold rain
for days at a time, though our weather was not as bad as some thru-hikers
have in WA.  When my feet were cold and wet for hours at a time, I ended up
in excruciating pain, though no one has ever been able to explain why.  I'll
never forget moaning and sobbing for over an hour in our hotel room at
Snoqualmie Pass, waiting for the pain to ebb.  A good friend in Seattle
recommended Sealskinz neoprene socks and I was able to have some brought up
from REI.  Made all the difference in the world.  Anytime it started to
rain, or when we had to plow through new-fallen snow (!), I swapped my wool
outer socks (I use a silk liner sock, too) for the Sealskinz.  That may have
saved my thru-hike, the pain was that bad.

We had gone through the Sierras after a low snow year, but there were still
plenty of wet stream crossings.  I wore my trail runners (Vasque Velocities)
wet after crossings, but never had any problem with associated foot pain,
probably because my feet weren't also cold.  I don't think many people have
this problem, but remember to consider neoprene socks if you do.

-Frodo (Sandy Mann)