[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes so great?

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 21:27:00 CST 2009

No doubt about it, sneakers/trail runners feel more comfortable on the feet.
If someone made a pair that had ankle support (like those old-fashioned
basketball shoes) and a more protective sole, they'd be pervect (IMHO).  I,
like some others I have read of, tend to get neuroma pain in the balls of my
feet; I attribute it to the days when I pounded down the trail in my trail
runners.  Vibram soles do give a more secure feeling, although they trash
the terrain more.  When my time FINALLY comes next year, I'm sticking to my
light-weight boots, and saving the sneakers for the really easy sections.
BTW, I hike in the Arizona desert all year long in the boots without
problems...I don't think it's the boots in the heat causing the blisters, if
you have a good boot that breathes.  And a boot will keep the sand, etc out
of my socks, so there's less abrasion.  I can get (if I must) 3-4 days of
hiking out of a pair of socks with the boots on...
OK, I guess more than you needed to know about me!
Ellen