[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes so great?

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 20 21:25:14 CST 2009

Hi Ned,

The bite of the trail shoe is grippy and rugged, designed to reduce slippage.  The
advanced flexibility of the typical trail shoe (as compared to a boot) would should
reduce foot injuries you mentioned.  Most trail shoes have an adequate scree collar
that, with gaitors, will reduce or eliminate debris collecting inside the shoe.  These
shoes are made with more cushion, additional stitching and thicker soles.  When
I'm on a long, rugged descent I'll typically simply tighten up my laces to reduce
movement.  Plus trail shoes are lighter, they dry faster, they are normally a little
less expensive than boots and let's face it, they just look better!  : )

Wes
Ok.  It seems evident that trail runners are highly spoken of and their
negatives are either not talked about or lived with.

What I want to know is what are those negatives? All I've heard of is wet
and/or cold feet for days. You mean the following don't occur with these
shoes and no one has ever had an injury or had to leave the trail because of
shoe problems?

Slip and Falls
Frostbite
too many rocks in the shoes