[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:46:28 CST 2009

Last year, I used Montrail shoes for most of the hike (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85748062@N00/3295629451/) and I also used a
fairly cheap pair of sandles for when I did my creek crossings. Make sure
you have a spare pair of dry socks for the time when you feet get wet (and
they will!). I also had a spare pair of insert soles, and I found that I
could dry the wet socks and the wet insoles on the outside of my pack ...
usually didn't take very long for them to dry.

While most of the time, it was pretty quick for me to slip off my shoes and
slip on my sandles to cross a creek, there were plenty of times when there
was just too much water and I said to myself "Just keep on walking ... they
will dry out quick enough".

My first pair of shoes lasted exactly 1,000 miles! I knew it was time to
change out my shoes because I got my first blister that day (one on each
foot!) and I also noticed that I didn't have the same grip as when I first
started the trail. When you notice your foot slipping, even on dry rocks, it
might be time to replace your shoes! I got off the trail, hitched about 90
miles back to Bishop (my second visit to this wonderful town!), bought my
shoes at Eastside Sports (they were even on sale ... can't beat that!),
hitched back to Bridgeport the same day so I could get an early start back
to the trail the next morning.

Also, here's some great first aid advice ... duct tape is great for
blisters. Apply it directly to your skin, right over the blister (or over
your hot-spot that will soon be a blister). It's amazing stuff!

O. Ikem Sofar